Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Common products with illegal ingredients

• Display

Images

Default Re: Common products with illegal ingredients

Soylent Green! Agh. They're killing us, the

Not grated cheese? :: cries ::

I'm really gonna go for the no sugar thing for the challenge. If I'm eschewing that lot the weight will drop off me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post

Not grated cheese? :: cries ::
    The good news about grating your own cheese is you'll get a little extra exercise! If you begin with an economical small block of Cheddar, just the basic sharp kind, it'll grate quite easily. It's not quite as high in protein as the super expensive, very hard Cheddars, but it'll do the trick.

I made the transition from pre-grated Cheddar to regular this past week, and it wasn't as much of a pain as I expected. I think had I bought a super hard Cheddar, it might have been a pain, but I just bought Food Lion's store brand of sharp (not extra sharp) Cheddar with 0 g. of carbs, according to the label. Not that I really trust labels, but you have to start somewhere.

Images

I 'ates it when all the cheese gets stuck in all the 'oles!

Blog Entries

Ah, just use your fingers and brush it out, back into the bowl. I 'ates it, too, but it just takes a second to correct. And a second is worth your ultimate victory. And besides: It's more exercise!!!!

DittoJan,

Before you know it, we're going to turn into real cooks!

Me too! I cheat and just run the block of cheese through the shredding blade on my food processor.

[QUOTE=SunnySmile501;1571385]Most people can't do what I did/do, but my health issues are such that I felt I had no choice. I not only make 99% of what I eat from scratch, I moved back to the country on a small farmstead and grow most of the veggies and fruit that I eat, plus keep a flock of pasture-raised, organically fed chickens. What meat I don't produce, I buy from local operations (Polyface Farms/Joel Salatin) which produce with rotational grazing (grass-fed/finished beef), no GMO grain for animals that are meant to eat grain, and no antibiotics or hormones. I also eat venison, which my brothers provide every fall. I have returned to eating local, in season, like we did back when we were still healthy and not obese.

I used to eat a lot of processed luncheon meats, like bologna and hot dogs, but I now restrict that stuff to a couple times in the summer. Even the hot dogs I eat, Hebrew National Beef, which contain no sugar, contains several unhealthy ingredients like Hydrolyzed Soy Protein.

I can find bacon without sugar (Gwaltney), so I buy that sometimes. Bacon costs $15.00 a pound at Polyface!

That said, I never had a problem with sweets--don't like the taste of sweet--and I haven't tasted soda in decades--they are sweet and the carbonation burns my mouth, so I am not totally against sugar for me, personally--just against highly processed white sugar put into EVERYTHING, mostly where it doesn't belong. I do have a bag of Organic Whole Sugar (Rapunzel) that I use for the occasional dish that is sweet & sour, like cole slaw, or to put in my pulled pork BBQ recipe. I have had a 24 ounce bag for well over a year and there's at least a quarter left. I also am a beekeeper, so I have raw organic honey, but don't use very much of that. I keep the bees to have pollinators and to save the bees, so I never take but a little honey from them. Regular beekeepers take all the honey and feed the bees sugar syrup for them to live off of.

I make mayonnaise with organic, first-cold-pressed canola oil. I sometimes use Duke's mayo, but it is made with soybean oil and my sensitive digestive system always flares a bit when I consume this highly inflammatory oil.

It is not easy, and it will only get harder to be healthy with what the food industry and the industrial agriculture bunch is doing to the food supply. "Who controls the food supply controls the population."[/QU

Right now it's survival mode (LOL) with having 2 kids under 3, but in a couple more years, I'd love to expand our garden. It's hard to grow much though because our soil is extremely sandy, so it'll be a lot of trial & error. I really should ask around to see if my friends know of someone local with grass-fed cattle that we could buy from. There are very few stores that sell grass-fed meat here & when you do, it's pretty expensive.

None of the stores here sell Duke's, so I had to order it online. I got that instead of the Hellman's/Best Foods because of lack of sugar, but since they both have soybean oil, maybe it doesn't matter & I should just save my money & get Hellman's if I don't make my own mayo. I've heard that a lot of soy is bad for you, but I really don't know much more than that. I have pain from inflammation, so that's very interesting you say that. I'm going to look into that.

Blog Entries

Christy, I'm glad you reposted Sunny's post. I had missed that and it was good to read about her way of life. We all have to learn and unlearn and re-relearn. When walking the rows of foods at Sam's Club and Costco, what I see are 99.99% food failures. Bad food is omnipresent. And yet with the boon of modern medicine, we having the long-living population ever, despite MacDonald's, candied breakfast cereals, calorie-laden and unhealthful snacks... But I've read in at least one article that the tide might be turning with the baby boomers--that we might no longer be the longest-living generation because of increasingly serious health problems.

Label reading is an education and a sobering one. We should all write to Hellmann's and complain about soybean oil. DittoJan wrote that British Hellmann's doesn't contain soybean oil. I wouldn't mind paying more for Hellmann's were it improved without the presence of soybean oil. In the meantime, I'll just make my own, despite the bit of trouble. Oh, the olive oil Hellmann's has olive oil listed as the first ingredient, even though it, too, contains soybean oil. At least it has canola and olive oil to slightly override the soybean oil.

Is the use of soybean oil in nearly all mayos because it's cheap? Flavor reasons?

Blog Entries

I'll bet it because it's cheap. But I really don't know. I tried the Hellmann's with olive oil today: Edit Correction: I tried Kraft with olive oil, not Hellmann's, in my tuna salad with blueberries and celery. It was quite good, although soybean oil is listed after olive oil.
    Last edited by Olivivi; October 5th, 2015 at 03:56 PM.

Images

This week I got Hellman's 'salad' mayo...big mistake. Just checked the ingredients! Agh...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast