Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kidney Disease

• Display

Default Re: Kidney Disease

I'm a fan of Dr. Michael Eades, co-author of Protein Power. He has an excellent blog in which he frequently analyzes the medical literature and studies relating to low-carb diets. The Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) published a "study" that vilified low-carb diets and Dr. Eades wrote an excellent rebuttal. This paragraph about kidney disease is reassuring.

Impaired Renal Function

Fear of kidney damage has long been the bugaboo of people following low-carbohydrate diets. It’s doubtful that anyone pursuing a low-carbohydrate diet for any length of time hasn’t been told at least once that his or her kidneys are in danger. Here again the PCRM doesn’t disappoint; the group is right there leading the chorus. And PCRM doesn’t beat around the bush: “Highprotein diets are associated with reduced kidney function,” so says its report. No equivocation there. But once again PCRM has missed the boat. If we are to believe PCRM, we had better leave the buns on our burgers and eat every fry in the box to protect our kidneys. Studies from around the world have shown that the amount of protein contained in the modified version of the low-carbohydrate diet does not harm the kidneys. Even studies in patients with diabetic kidney disease show they will harm their kidneys more by increasing their carbohydrate intake and running up their blood sugars than they do by increasing their protein intake. In the late 1980s a group did an extensive study in Israel comparing the kidney function of people of all ages who ate a high meat diet with the kidney function of those on a vegetarian diet. The study showed that although both groups suffered a slight reduction in kidney function with age (it’s a sad fact of life—as we age function of just about everything including the kidneys decreases) the degree of loss of function was indistinguishable between the groups. Another recent study of kidney disease in diabetics performed at the University of California in San Francisco demonstrated that caloric reduction was a more potent force in protecting damaged kidneys than restriction of dietary protein. In fact, this study used a low-carbohydrate diet to restrict the calories. The whole idea that protein in the amounts eaten in modified low-carbohydrate diets damages kidneys is a vampire myth that refuses to die no matter how many stakes have been driven through its heart by a multitude of medical studies.

One last point on this subject, an admittedly anecdotal one, but illustrative. The one group of people who eat more protein than any other single group is serious body builders. These people eat anywhere from three times to eight times the amount of protein recommended in any lowcarb diet, and do so for long periods of time. What does this do to their kidneys? It must not do much because it’s never been reported in the medical literature. If the PCRM were correct about protein damaging kidneys there would be lines of body builders queuing up outside of dialysis centers all over the world.

If you want to read the whole blog post, it's here: Rebuttal to the PCRM | The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.
    Laurie
    55-yr old female, 5'7"
    229/140/145
    This precious girl is my only grandchild.

Blog Entries

Atkins isn't a high protein way of eating though. It's a high fat, low carbohydrate, moderate protein way of eating. Protein accounts for about 20-25% of one's calories.

What % did the doctor recommend?
    J.

Your life will never change until you change your choices.

Atkins since 2003, maintenance since 2005

Cookiecate.. I just want to add one more thing that I wasn't going to mention.. and that it's one of the trillion things I have been dealing with.. is that I took my 15 year old son for his annual check up last Friday.. and on Tues of this week, they called me and told me his urine test came back abnormal...and the worst case scenario was the beginning of Kidney disease..so just know where my heart is when I tell you that I would do anything to make him better...especially with my husband' side of family medical history.... I guess I am just speaking from the heart.. because I am scared shi*less....

Quote Originally Posted by Browneyedmelly View Post
    All I know is that I saw my mother in law suffer with kidney disease, in the end she had absolutely no function at all.. it was terrible...and if it was me I would really consider....and do anything to make it better..
    I know what you are saying. My own mother died of the uncared for symptoms of diabetes. My ex husband died at Christmas of the uncared for symptoms of diabetes so I know a little of what you went through. I will make sure that my husband is looked after and I will make sure that we do everything in our power to make sure he does not develop severe kidney disease. However, at the moment I am confused there is not much help out there to assist him to lose weight and bring down his sugar while looking after his kidneys. Thank you for your sympathy.

il explain some things. its no fun being in the dark about diseases that are affecting you and somebody you love.

The scientific facts surrounding type 2 diabetes are:
    • Type 2 diabetes is not an inherited disease as often claimed.
    • Type 2 diabetes is 100% preventable by eating the low-carbohydrate diet..
    • Type 2 diabetes is 100% caused by eating excessive amounts of carbohydrates.
    • Type 2 diabetes symptoms can be controlled by eating the low-carbohydrate diet.
    • Animal fats do not cause diabetes and do not make diabetes worse..
    • Saturated animal fats do not cause diabetes and do not make diabetes worse.
    now for kidney disease here is an example spagetti is a toxic food it causes a toxic blood sugar spike when a healthy person eats it he absolutely must either burn it off as energy or store it as fat.

but when a type 2 diabetic eats it they are resistant to insulin the fat storing hormone. so if they don't burn it as energy they cant store it as fat so the toxic blood sugar spike reaches there kidneys and causes terrible damage to the point of impaired kidneys and requireing a kidney transplant.

in short foods that cause a toxic blood sugar spike are deadly. and the longer you eat these foods the more insulin resistant they make your cells to the point you become a type 2 diabetic and that is type 2 diabetes and kidney disease explained.

anyways with kidney disease you cant handle protein as good so you would need a speical diet. now i don't really know what kind of diet exactly but im guessing a diet of eating very small amounts of protein through out the day not enough to overload your damaged kidneys but enough for you to stay healthy. you also don't want to force your kidneys to convert protein to glucose so you would eat a fairly higher carb diet.

something like 75% fat, 15% carbohydrates, 10% protein, the high fat and still low carb will reverse type 2 diabetes and the 10% protein hopefully your kidneys should beable to handle maybe check with your doctor but they should beable to handle a 10% diet of protein and the 15% carbs in your diet will have enough glucose to fuel your brain and muscles with out requireing protein converted glucose i hope. also the days you work out your muscles feel free to eat 3% higher protein and 5-10% higher carbohydrates depending on how hard you work out.

sadly weight loss will be harder as well type 2 diabetics generally need to eat extra extra low carb to lose weight but with impaired kidneys thats not possible but don't give up maybe as your cells slowly reverse there insulin resistance and there for you no longer are type 2 diabetic from eating a healthy high fat diet over years then you will be able to lose weight easier and also maybe your kidneys will overtime beable to heal themselfs hopefully.

another thing to note dont hold back on the quality of your food diseased people should eat the highest quality food as in grass fed pasture raised beef fat, beef, organs, raw milk and non GMO vegetables. the carbohydrates you do eat make sure they are not the blood sugar spikeing ones for example bread,pasta,candy,glucose, etc is all the toxic ones and all the medium ones are fruit, so eat carbohydrates that are less blood sugar spikeing than fruit and you should be good. basically stay below rung 5 on atkins. atleast till your cells become less insulin resistant. also this website will help you find the most healthy foods
    The Weston A. Price Foundation

also when you eat your vegetables dont juice them because as juiced they spike your blood sugar more than when they are natural.

more health tips

remember the label '' Organic '' is basically useless because they can label foods in western areas as Organic even when it is still 30% GMO. and also they can label beef Organic even when there still just grain fed!

this can be very important get a reverse osmosis water filter system you have no idea how many toxic hormones are in are water supply these days
    5 Stage Reverse Osmosis RO Pure Water System - Free Shipping *

make sure you are geting Vitamin D from the sun vitamin D is used in so many of your genes and cures up to 75% of cancers sunlight during 11am - 2pm gives vitamin D its best to get it from the sun and never use sunscreen. sunscreen is toxic to your skin and blocks 95-99% of vitamin D from being absorbed. but also do the things necessary to prevent a sunburn as in depending on your skin you may only need 15 mins a day while a darker skined person may need an hour or more.
    but if you absolutely cant go out in the sun you can take solar d gems 4000 IU made by carlsons they are good.
    also dont forget to get omega-3

and one more health info this is a big one '' Get off cholesterol meds! '' they are useless and deadly and doctors dont have a clue what they are doing when it comes to saturated fats and cholesterol. saturated fats and cholesterol do not cause heart disease they infact help prevent it. no wonder all the natives and even eskimos who eat there native diet of up to 80% fat with loads of saturated animal fats have 0% heart disease while western people have around 40% heart disease?
    Making Sense of Your Cholesterol Numbers
    Last edited by ziggy; August 19th, 2010 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cookiecate View Post
    I know what you are saying. My own mother died of the uncared for symptoms of diabetes. My ex husband died at Christmas of the uncared for symptoms of diabetes so I know a little of what you went through. I will make sure that my husband is looked after and I will make sure that we do everything in our power to make sure he does not develop severe kidney disease. However, at the moment I am confused there is not much help out there to assist him to lose weight and bring down his sugar while looking after his kidneys. Thank you for your sympathy.
    I hope that ziggy's explanation of this awful disease is helpful to you. I cannot begin to understand how you must be feeling right now. I have read through ziggy's post and there are many helpful ideas there to help your son. I know I have spent ages on the computer researching diabetes and kidney disease can I wish you the very best and let you know that your son will be in my thoughts.

During the past week, my husband has increased the amount of water he is drinking and he says that the frothing effect when he urinates has lessened. He is also eating more vegetables and I certainly agree that we should be using the best quality food to help an already overworked immune system.

Take care and please keep in touch I would really like to know how your son progresses.

I really appreciate it.. my heart has felt so heavy.. since his doctor told me.. I mean I already went thru he*l in March of this year, when he had a tumor on his bone in his leg.. and now this...We are going back to retest... in the meantime to be honest.. I have been coming here... and posting.. but I don't care about anything else, including me or Atkins, until I get a clean bill of health for him...you know what I mean?? As for your husband.. I hope he continues to feel better...funny my son has stopped drinking soda and he now drinks water and crystal light...thank you again....

dr mercola noticed when people had or died from cancer he asked there relatives and freinds if they who died from cancer went out in the sun at all and none of them did. also the places on earth that have less sunlight have more cancer.

this video has 7 parts watch them on youtube and it will show the levels of vitamin D needed in your system to prevent and cure 75% of cancers.

sunlight has always been there for us it makes sense that we need sunlight to be healthy.

also here is a link showing why a reverse osmosis water filter system is soo very important. only they can filter out these very real posions in are water.
    TELUS, news, headlines, stories, breaking, canada, canadian, national

also never eat any amount of soy
    Welcome to Soy Online Service

also remember not to over cook eggs try to eat the egg yolks while they are still runny they are alot more healthy then. and if you eat scrambled eggs don't overcook them.

im glad this info is helping
    Last edited by ziggy; August 20th, 2010 at 01:28 PM.

EDIT:
    while my mom was at the bank a guy told her his brother go's around curing peoples cancer with this.
    '' take 50,000 IU of liquid vitamin D3 with alot of liquid calcium and a little milk. ''

and i believe you take that daily.

with lot's of liquid calcium it will will help you absorb the 50,000 IU vitamin D3.
    and i don't know if it has to be taken with a little milk maybe some other liquid similar to milk would work?

make sure your vitamin D3 is from a liquid sorce like in a soft gel shell or drops from a bottle of it.

EDIT:
    also im sure you could take 50,000 IU vitamin D3 for 14 days in a row easily before it even started to get into overdose levels. but anyways this is the cancer cure that a guy told my mom that his brother uses to cure other peoples cancers.

UPDATE:
    according to this link
    When Taking Vitamin D, Magnesium and Vitamin D should Always Be Taken Together

Magnesium is 'Used Up' when Vitamin D is converted into its active form in the blood
    Magnesium is 'Required' to convert Vitamin D into its active form in the blood

so with that being said you may also need to take magnesium.

also get your magnesium from whole foods like seeds.

and becareful of vitamins
    Why Taking Supplements Could be Hazardous to Your Health

never take vitamins that have Magnesium stearate and or Titanium dioxide in them.
    Last edited by ziggy; September 30th, 2010 at 01:40 PM.

I would suggest he reads a book entitled "The Diabetes Diet" by Dr. Richard Bernstein. Dr. Bernstein claims that he reversed his kidney disease through low carb! He has been a Type I diabetic since 1946 and has his sugar completely under control. Please, for your husband, check out this wonderful Doctor and his books. BTW, he has a website WWW.diabetes-book.com, check that out too! Good Luck!!
    Starting Weight - 208
    Goal Weight - 160

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast