Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kidney Disease

• Display

Default Kidney Disease

Yesterday my husband was told by his doctor that he has the beginnings of kidney disease caused by his
    diabetes. I looked up diet suggestions from Dr Atkins and found that he says that people with kidney disease should not do Atkins. Atkins really is the only diet that has worked for us but we fall off of the wagon so regularly whave been our own worsed enemies. I am now looking to see how I can feed my husband without causing the cravings that most diets cause particularly low calorie diets which leave him hungry.

I wonder if any of you have come accross this problem of eating less protein. He has been advised to eat fish, whole grains, broccoli, squash and lentils.

Default Re: Kidney Disease

I am not an expert.. it's why I really don't answer these kinds of questions.. however I wanted to say to please take care of your husband... I saw my mother in law go thru some horrendous things because she didn't take care of herself.. when she was told she had the beginning of kidney disease... that's all I really wanted to say....I wish him well...

I understand where you are coming from Browneyedelly, I think this is the wake up call for both of us, and yes I will look after him. We usually share the pizza, ice cream and any other indulgence that we fall for so this time I shall be there to remind him that I love him and don't want to lose him particularly when we can do something about it.

Thank you for your good wishes they are appreciated.

You will need to talk to your doctor about this, but could you/your husband start at a higher carb level, with most of those carbs coming from vegetables... and substitute some of the protein for fat?
    Low carb since December 2007
    Maintenance since June 2010

My FitDay journal

My husband spoke to the doctor yesterday at length, and she told him that she could not advise him on the Atkins diet and no doctor could. I looked up what Dr Atkins says on the subject of kidney disease and he advises that those people suffering from it should not do Atkins. Today I am feeling a bit numb but am researching everything I can and with helpful suggestions like yours I am sure I will be able to feed hubs healthily. As I have said I believe this is the 'kick' that we needed to realise that sugar and carbs can kill and we need to do something about it. As you point out complete abstinence is easier than perfect moderation. That is how I gave up alcohol and smoking so we need to do it with food.

Blog Entries

Just a curiosity, and it's a moot point, but does the doctor really understand Atkins? To say that "no doctor" could is a bit on the extreme side. I find absolutes of "all" or "none" to very often be not true. I'm not suggesting that you should or shouldn't do Atkins.
    J.

Your life will never change until you change your choices.

Atkins since 2003, maintenance since 2005

Our doctor does not understand Atkins and really doesn't want to. When my husband began losing weight and his blood glucose was low the doctor was pleased with the results and said then that she could never condone the Atkins woe but the results were good. Atkins woe got a bad reputation a long time ago from people who just never took the time to find out what the diet was all about and the reputation has stuck.

Blog Entries

>>Our doctor does not understand Atkins and really doesn't want to.>>

So then the advice is worth???

Again, the decision to do Atkins, or another low carb eating plan, should be discussed with someone who knows what they're talking about ... in my opinion.

>>Atkins woe got a bad reputation a long time ago from people who just never took the time to find out what the diet was all about and the reputation has stuck.>>

How true.

What exactly were your doctor's reservations?
    J.

Your life will never change until you change your choices.

Atkins since 2003, maintenance since 2005

She said that my husband had protien in his blood and urine and that this was the beginning of kidney failure. She also told him that his cholesterol was high. She increased his medication and gave him Lisinopril an ACE inhibitor. When he got home I phoned the doctor and explained that I was the person who cooked for my husband and I needed to know what was needed from me as his food provider. She said that we needed to cut down on the amounts of protien that we were eating, that we needed to lose weight, keep blood glucose low and excersise.

This happens when we are doing Atkins however, I immediately checked my copy of DANDR and on page 107 and 120 Dr Atkins cautions people with kidney disease not to do Atkins and that if you are taking oral diabetes medication you should undertake Atkins with a physicians guidance.

Our doctor states that my husband's kidneys are functioning OK at the moment but he is in danger of kidney disease if he continues a high protein diet.

I am aware that we can still eliminate white sugar, flour and junk laden foods and eat a good enjoyable low carb diet really just cutting out the large amounts of eggs, bacon and meat that we were enjoying with our vegetables.

All I know is that I saw my mother in law suffer with kidney disease, in the end she had absolutely no function at all.. it was terrible...and if it was me I would really consider....and do anything to make it better..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast