Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 lbs. lost! AND calories DO matter (at least for me)

• Display

Default Re: 20 lbs. lost! AND calories DO matter (at least for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Dianna79 View Post
    My BMR is 1600... I am eating close to that a day.
    It's really great that you are losing weight faster than you do, and calorie intake does matter. However, you are taking not enough calories now.

BMR indicates the amount of calories your body uses when it's in rest. You probably don't lie on the bed all day but are more active than that. So you need to add calories or you metabolism will start to be slower. Google on 'starvation mode'.
    I got fat while in starvation mode, because my body stored everything I ate. This happens if you eat 1000 cal below our maintenance level.

Your maintenance level of calorie intake is probably around 2500 when doing moderate activity during the day. Subtract max 500 of that for losing weight. So around 2000 should be fine.

Great job you are doing losing weight! Keep up the good work

You're exactly right... I am not telling anyone that they need to reduce their calories.. Before I cut back on how much I was eating, there were times I ate that much simply because it "tasted good" and snacked because I simply could... What I am basically doing is what the book says. I am eating just enough to feel satisfied and get by. I am "eating to live" not "living to eat" and Atkins has really helped me to get to this point. And I thought that if I only ate when I really needed to and ate until I felt satisfied and not eat just to eat because it was something on the list of foods to eat and I could that maybe I would lose faster and I am.. I have lost 5 pounds in 12 days and I feel great. The other night I was sitting on the couch watching TV at about 10:00 and suddenly felt really hungry, so I got up and ate some celery and a piece of cheese and was fine. In other words, since eating less.. if I do get hungry, I eat. I am listening to my body. I also thought that staying near induction longer would help.. but like so many others it didn't work out well... I am eating more veggies and the weight is coming off faster. Here is a before and after menu of how I was eating and how I am eating now:
    BEFORE:
    Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in butter, 2-3 slices bacon, 1 cup decaf coffee, 2 tbsp heavy cream, packet of Splenda
    Lunch: 1/3 lb. hamb. patty, 1 slice swiss, 1/2 cup mushrooms cooked in butter, 3 cups romaine, 1/4 c. shredded cheddar, 2 tbsp bacon bits, 2 tbsp. garlic ranch dressing.
    Snack: Atkins vanilla shake (I have always done fine with this, no stalls at all), pork rinds
    Dinner: Same as lunch or very similiar.

NOW:
    Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, 1 slice bacon
    Lunch: Hamb. patty half the size of the before menu, 1/2 slice swiss, 1/2 cup mushrooms cooked in butter, 1/4 c. cooked onions, 2 c. romaine, 1/8 c. shredded cheddar, 1 tbsp. bacon bits, 1 tbsp. dressing.
    Snack: 1 atkins shake
    Dinner: same or similiar as lunch

Quote Originally Posted by Dianna79 View Post
    You're exactly right... I am not telling anyone that they need to reduce their calories.. Before I cut back on how much I was eating, there were times I ate that much simply because it "tasted good" and snacked because I simply could... What I am basically doing is what the book says. I am eating just enough to feel satisfied and get by. I am "eating to live" not "living to eat" and Atkins has really helped me to get to this point. And I thought that if I only ate when I really needed to and ate until I felt satisfied and not eat just to eat because it was something on the list of foods to eat and I could that maybe I would lose faster and I am.. I have lost 5 pounds in 12 days and I feel great. The other night I was sitting on the couch watching TV at about 10:00 and suddenly felt really hungry, so I got up and ate some celery and a piece of cheese and was fine. In other words, since eating less.. if I do get hungry, I eat. I am listening to my body. I also thought that staying near induction longer would help.. but like so many others it didn't work out well... I am eating more veggies and the weight is coming off faster.
    Good for you! Alot of us have developed unhealthy relationships with food (which helped create our weight problem.). By recognizing and eliminating those bad food habits and developing new, healthy food habits, we increase our chances of maintaining our smaller selves.

There have been studies done on the eating habits of infants and toddlers. In general, those studies have shown that infants and toddlers have the ability to eat what they need to eat in order to sustain themselves. There is also a study done on toddler serving sizes: the results are that toddlers will serve themselves age appropriate servings and stop with that serving, even if they have a huge bowl of the food in front of them and they are told they can have as much as they want. It's only when some well=meaning adult thinks they "aren't eating enough", that those infants and toddlers are taught to eat beyond what they need to eat. And now as adults, we have to re-learn those innate hunger-feeding cues.

It took me a while to re-learn those hunger cues. And when I did, I found some days I have a bigger appetite than other days.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

By the way, your experiment with your caloric intake shows that on Atkins, you have a wide calorie-needed-for-weight-loss range. So it's totally okay for you to eat 2800 calories one day (because your appetite dictated it) and it's okay for you to eat 1600 calories the next day (because your appetite dictated it) AND you can still lose weight eating at those extremes or eating in the middle range.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

At first calories didn't matter at all for me =] that was awesome.
    But now that im almost at my goal.. And im a shorty.. Ive had to keep an eye on them too.
    But thats okay =) Its not like im hungry.
    Ready for change

not2late, thank you SO much for your positive advice and feedback! You are awesome! Also to everyone, I just did another Fitday on what I am eating now. As I said, before I reduced my calories, I was eating about 2,800 calories per day on Atkins (OWL rung 1) and was still losing weight but thought it was coming off pretty slowly. So, like I said I just did another Fitday and calculated I am now eating 1,800 per day on average...so I didn't reduce my calories in half, but I did significantly reduce them.. by 1,000 per day and am still doing great.. never hungry! AND the bonus is I am losing much better now and feel better.. like I said, I am listening to my body, letting it be the guide, just like Dr. Atkins suggested in his book, DANDR. I do not eat simply because I can, I eat only when hungry! I have followed his book for my guide and done everything the book says, never cheated once, and now include exercise (I walk briskly for about 20 min. per day.. it takes me about 22 min. to walk 1.5 miles) I don't do many recipes, I keep it simple and whole... and before I reduced my calories I was losing maybe 1 lb. per week, which is great.. but in the past 2 weeks I have lost 6 lbs!! I feel wonderful and am only 2 lbs. away from being halfway to my goal.

Images

Yes, eat until you are full. Eating protein like chicken and eggs will fill you up fast. Calorie intake isn't the factor with Atkins. You want to lose fat, not muscle. Congrats on the weight loss!

From the information I've read online, starvation 'mode' is really a myth. The body doesn't go into real starvation mode until around the 30th day of zero food. The metabolism does lower naturally with a lower intake of food but thats a good thing - most slim people have a lower metabolism and most overweight people have a higher metabolism. Even athletic people who are slim/muscular have a lower metabolism than overweight people.

I have also read that fasting actually increases insulin sensitivity and improves its function. There is nothing wrong with skipping meals or fasting for certain periods of time, or cutting calories quite low occasionally.

However - if you consistantly skip meals/cut and fast then you may find you binge. This is the ultimate danger with fasting/calorie cutting, there is an urgency about needing to eat and you are much more susceptable to temptations and inappropriate foods. Once you allow yourself to eat you may also find that you overeat and eat more calories than you would do on a normal day.

I like to embrace anything that may increase my insulin sensitivity, so I have embraced fasting as a part of my life. I have not had great experiences in the beginning but I've found that you need to approach it in a mature, relaxed, sensible way (ie occasionally, appropriately and certainly not obsessively).

I don't think cutting calories is a bad idea especially if you are not hungry, it's usually pretty beneficial - however I always had a problem of cutting too much and exercising too much (and exhaustion/appetite gets the better of me), its better to make small changes and keep them consistant over long periods of time which is easy to say and not always so easy to do.

Keep up the good work and let that enthusiam keep you sailing on through.

I always believe in calories in and calories out...I watch my calories.. I may get some slack for saying that...I just chose to use my calories in fat, protein and veggies, rather than bread, pasta, rice or what I would really love to eat and that's potato chips and ice cream....If I ate as much as I did in the beginning of Atkins, I would gain weight now...but that is just my opinion....

I have also read that fasting actually increases insulin sensitivity and improves its function. There is nothing wrong with skipping meals or fasting for certain periods of time, or cutting calories quite low occasionally.
    There is lots of information on the internet. The trick is to to separate the reliable from the bogus. For myself, if someone makes a claim about something, I look for the the references to studies or papers based on real data. If there are none, I tend to discount the claim. Gary Taubes in his book Good Calories, Bad Calories meticulously traced the evolution of the low fat dogma based on Ancel Adams' hypothesis. Tons of papers were written "proving" it based on other papers and not real live data. And look where we are today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast