Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I just say....

• Display

Default Re: Can I just say....

Old thread but a good topic. I did the Couch to 5km too, only now I can run 5km I'm kind of torn about what to do. Generally I mix it up and do 5km and alternate running/walking in 5 minute intervals until I've done another 5km, making 10km total. I do that about 2-3 times per week when my daughter is in school.

I really find running outside very difficult. I live in Asia and it's hot and humid year-round and there are only 1-2 parks where running is possible, with the nearest being 30 mins walk & subway ride from my house. I much prefer the gym and my local one has TVs built into the treadmills. So I can run in air-con comfort and watch CNN or BBC for an hour or two (as we don't get an English-language news channel at home).

I did a 5km fun-run outside recently and my knees and hips ached for days afterwards - perhaps running outside is harder on my joints than on the nice cushioned treadmill.
    Currently on OWL
    Weighing infrequently / taking it slow and easy
    SW: 75kg
    CW: 68kg
    Mini-goal 1: 70kg - 6 March 2011 (final day of induction)
    Mini-goal 2: Waist measurement of 76cm (30")
    Mini-goal 3: 66kg Normal BMI
    Goal: 60kg

I've read that if you want to transition from running on a treadmill to running outside, you should put the incline on 1%. It is suppose to mimic the wind resistance and the slight changes in terrain ( on a basically level path)

Starr's Journal

Mini Goals
    lose 10 pounds - 1/27/2011
    220- 4/5/2011 (it took WAY too long to get here but glad i finally did it! Onward and Downward!!)
    200-
    190-
    180-
    170-
    160-
    150-

Blog Entries

Thanks Susan!

I've been to the chiropractor, but I think the injury is beyond what he can do for me. I really think I messed it up good. Possibly damaged a disk or something. At the very least, I think its a pinched nerve, but a chiroprator should have been able to get me some relief if that was the case. At least I think.

Anyway, had an x-ray yesterday....waiting on results. If nothing shows, MRI is next. ugh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12