Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What camera do you have?

• Display

Blog Entries

Default Re: What camera do you have?

The cheaper lens is the older film camera model from 2004. It doesn't have vibration reduction or a built in auto focus motor (which means manual focus only) and the lens coatings are not as good (anti glare and flare reduction). That aside it should work with the D5000. The 'Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR' is the one I have, it has vibration reduction (VR) and a built in auto focus motor (AF-S) and the (ED) coating is the latest type for superior sharpness and color correction, also it has internal focusing (IF) which means the lens doesn't get longer as you zoom.

With any lens the rule of thumb is the minimum shutter speed should be the same as the lens length. A 70-300mm lens (at 300mm) on a DX body like the D5000 (the 1.5x crop factor means it's approx 450mm) it would be 1/500th second without VR, with VR you could hand hold at 1/125th second and get a sharp image.

If you can afford it go for the more expensive 'Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR'. It has one more advantage, because it's a full frame lens it will work on all Nikon cameras, so if you upgrade to a full frame camera like a D3 or D700 at a later date it will work fine unlike the DX lenses which are designed for the smaller sensor found on your D5000 and my D90.

Thanks ... I will save up. BTW did you get a chance to take a look at the pictures I posted to my album
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...big-bliss.html

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey View Post
    The cheaper lens is the older film camera model from 2004. It doesn't have vibration reduction or a built in auto focus motor (which means manual focus only) and the lens coatings are not as good (anti glare and flare reduction). That aside it should work with the D5000. The 'Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR' is the one I have, it has vibration reduction (VR) and a built in auto focus motor (AF-S) and the (ED) coating is the latest type for superior sharpness and color correction, also it has internal focusing (IF) which means the lens doesn't get longer as you zoom.

With any lens the rule of thumb is the minimum shutter speed should be the same as the lens length. A 70-300mm lens (at 300mm) on a DX body like the D5000 (the 1.5x crop factor means it's approx 450mm) it would be 1/500th second without VR, with VR you could hand hold at 1/125th second and get a sharp image.

If you can afford it go for the more expensive 'Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR'. It has one more advantage, because it's a full frame lens it will work on all Nikon cameras, so if you upgrade to a full frame camera like a D3 or D700 at a later date it will work fine unlike the DX lenses which are designed for the smaller sensor found on your D5000 and my D90.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Thanks ... I will save up. BTW did you get a chance to take a look at the pictures I posted to my album
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...big-bliss.html
    I'm assuming you want some constructive criticism...

You need to focus on the models eyes, most of the wedding images have sharp focus on the dresses but the eyes are out of focus, in situations like this use spot focusing. The shot with the two spotlights is dark because the cameras sensor has been fooled, either recompose to cut out the lights, use EV compensation to add +1 or +2 EV to allow for the lights or add some fill in flash. Some of the images look like camera shake rather than missed focus, make sure you use a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the action. The group shots in front of the carriage are nice and crisp, maybe opening up the shutter would have thrown the background a bit more out of focus to concentrate on the main subjects. The single shots in front of the carriage could also use some fill in flash to put some sparkle into the brides eyes and reduce the shadows. One of the differences between a DSLR and a compact camera is focusing, the compact because of its smaller sensor and higher maximum f stop is more forgiving of slight errors in focusing the DSLR not so much. There's nothing wrong that a bit of practise won't sort out, and the joy of digital is that it won't cost anything in film processing to take hundreds of practise shots. When you look at a 'bad' image check the EXIF data and try and see where you went wrong, shoot it again and correct the error. As they say practise makes perfect.

Only post your best shots to online sites like Flickr, don't let anyone else see the bad shots. I'm really, really critical of my images, I guess my shot to post percentage is something like 5% or less.

I hope you find the above useful, but remember it's only my opinion and what the heck do I know.
    Last edited by Delta Whiskey; May 3rd, 2011 at 12:12 AM. Reason: edit out profanity

Blog Entries

If you're not to bothered about the full frame upgrade path, this looks like a good buy for a DX lens. Lens Test: Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G DX ED VR AS-S | Popular Photography

I have a Nikon s6 digital camera.I have a Nikon s6 digital camera.

a nikon coolpix (cant remember the type but a 12mega pixel camera, hubby has my old 7mega one) and also use my iPhone4s (did have the iPhone4 prior) for camera
    START: 195

MONTH 1

Week 1:
    Week 2:
    Week 3:
    Week 4:

JOURNAL http://tinyurl.com/cgrwlrv

we have a canon rebel xs and we looove it!!

Images

Nikon d3 14-24mm, 24-70mm and a 70-200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canon D 7, canon 5, leica m6, voigtlander r3a, mamiya rz67, olympus 35sp, yashica c, holga, sproket rocket, spinner 360 and my most recent sony nex 6.
    Using Tapatalk

Images

My primary camera is a Panasonic DMC-TZ1. It is about as easy to use as it gets, with a 10X optical zoom & image stabilization. It can be used to take video, too, and digitally store quite a lot on its SD card. Yes, it is very OLD (10 years), but the only thing wearing out is some of the printed markings and the sticker on it. Zero maintenance costs. If it ever disappoints me, can get replaced with +/- $50 on eBay.

Other cameras -on cell phone, laptop, webcam, and a few I don't use anymore that take film and cost $$$ to have developed.
    ~Susan
    STAC MEMBER________________________Age: gettin' older/sex: F/ height: shrinkin' - Is there a TTAC?

I'm back... Third time's the charm, right? Hoping to "get carded" again someday as my youthful looks return ....I hope!!!
    This is my REAL Goal:...

Goal: Just DO It!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12