Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What camera do you have?

• Display

Default What camera do you have?

I am getting really into photography.

What camera do you have? is it point and shoot or an DSLR?

I currently have a Nikon D5000 . Which I really really like.

I need to get another lense for it as I only have the one that came with it.

Blog Entries

Default Re: What camera do you have?

I have a Nikon D90 with 18mm-105mm kit lens, also a Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED, Sigma 24mm f1.8 macro and a Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro.

Have you thought about your want to use the next lens for, what sort of images are you after. Landscape, still life, portrait, sport etc.

If you'd like to have a look, you can see my photo's on Flickr Flickr: Delta Whisky - The Old Folkie's Photostream

I guess mostly landscape. I was thinking about getting the next higher zoom lens. Mine maxes out at 55mm I think. I think a 15-55 or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey View Post
    I have a Nikon D90 with 18mm-105mm kit lens, also a Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED, Sigma 24mm f1.8 macro and a Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro.

Have you thought about your want to use the next lens for, what sort of images are you after. Landscape, still life, portrait, sport etc.

If you'd like to have a look, you can see my photo's on Flickr Flickr: Delta Whisky - The Old Folkie's Photostream

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I guess mostly landscape. I was thinking about getting the next higher zoom lens. Mine maxes out at 55mm I think. I think a 15-55 or something like that.
    For landscape you might be better off with a wider prime lens, something like the Sigma 24mm I have. If you want a zoom the Sigma 10mm-20mm would be an option, I was able to borrow this lens for a while and it takes some great images.
    Looking at my EXIF's, for most of my landscapes I'm using either the 24mm or the 18mm-105mm kit lens down at the wide end. The 24mm f1.8 is useful for hand holding in low light situations like sunrise/sunset, although the narrow depth of field at that aperture makes for critical focusing.

For landscape you might be better off with a wider prime lens, something like the Sigma 24mm I have. If you want a zoom the Sigma 10mm-20mm would be an option, I was able to borrow this lens for a while and it takes some great images.
    Looking at my EXIF's, for most of my landscapes I'm using either the 24mm or the 18mm-105mm kit lens down at the wide end. The 24mm f1.8 is useful for hand holding in low light situations like sunrise/sunset, although the narrow depth of field at that aperture makes for critical focusing.
    What can I do to get that really really crisp photo? Is there a lens that will help me get a deeper photo?

Blog Entries

What can I do to get that really really crisp photo? Is there a lens that will help me get a deeper photo?
    I take it by crisp you mean sharp focus, what the pro's call tack sharp. All lenses have a sweet spot where they are at their best, it's normally two stops down from wide open so on your 18-55mm it's probably f4 at the 18mm end and f8 at the 55mm end.
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'deeper', is it the amount of the image which is in focus, the depth of field (DoF) or something else?

I take it by crisp you mean sharp focus, what the pro's call tack sharp. All lenses have a sweet spot where they are at their best, it's normally two stops down from wide open so on your 18-55mm it's probably f4 at the 18mm end and f8 at the 55mm end.
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'deeper', is it the amount of the image which is in focus, the depth of field (DoF) or something else?
    This was a great tip!!! I tried to take a day of photos with focussing on these "sweet spots" and the results were noticable!

Thanks.

So what lense do you think I should get next? Also how about cases? I dont have a camera case and really need one.

Blog Entries

So what lense do you think I should get next? Also how about cases? I dont have a camera case and really need one.
    If you're happy with the 18-55mm for the time being, I'd look at getting something at the longer end maybe a 70-300mm or 18-200mm. If you can afford it, Nikkor are the best but if like me funds are limited then Sigma are a good third party manufacturer.

I'm happy with Lowepro bags, like lenses you can't have too many bags. ;-)

I recently bought a Lowepro Messenger bag Amazon.com: Lowepro Exchange Messenger for DLSR Kit and Essentials (Black): Camera & Photo
    I was looking for a day to day bag which would go over my shoulder and didn't look like it was a camera bag, it holds the DSLR, one lens and a flash gun along with extra batteries, cards etc.
    That apart, I have cases for each lens Lowepro - Lens Cases , a back pack case and a belt case Lowepro - Inverse 200 AW which are more padded than the messenger bag.

There's a video podcast you might be interested in, it's called D-Town TV from Scott Kelby's company, lots of interesting stuff on there. D-Town TV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast