Thread: 3 days of Atkins Induction helping PCOS symptoms?

• Display

Default 3 days of Atkins Induction helping PCOS symptoms?

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16. Then, at 28, I went through 2 IVF cycles and ended up with B/G twins. After I had my kids, I had regular periods for about 9 months, and then went back to not having them at all for the past 9 months.

Now, this may be TMI for my first post, but I've only been doing Atkins for 3 days. Been trying for over a week, so I've greatly reduced my carbs in that time, but only stuck under 20 carbs for 3 days.

This morning, I am spotting. No way that's from the diet, right? Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    Images

Default Re: 3 days of Atkins Induction helping PCOS symptoms?

I don't have pcos but I know that radically changing your diet - like going from eating lots of carbs to eathing very little - will make your hormones react and spotting can happen.
    Make sure that you eat your veggie carbs - not because it has anything to do with your issue but because that is the diet.

Definitely possible, but also possibly a coincidence. Atkins did help my hormonal imbalances some, and the 3 times I've done induction (one was as I weaned a 6 mo old too) my next cycles came a week to 10 days faster than expected, but the next month were back on schedule. It has helped with the cramping and backaches of TOM too.
    What is it, a RACE? It's coming off, right????

Denise, 37 years young, 5'3-1/2"
    196 first time/153 this time/140/133

Yes i have really bad pcos i never have periods unless i start atkins, Right when i start the diet one morning by the end of the night i will start a period..

my name is ashley, im 21 & i live in alabama!

i decided not to weigh myself just do..
    measurements --
    • neck -- 19
    • chest -- 53 1/2
    • waist-- 57
    • hips/butt -- 57
    • R arm -- 23
    • L arm -- 23
    • R theigh -- 34 1/2
    • L theigh -- 34 1/2
    • R calf -- 24 1/2
    • L calf -- 23 1/2

Blog Entries
    Images

I had a friend with PCOS and she had a lot of problems with symptoms her periods and weight. It was almost impossible for her to control her weight and she was quite a bit overweight, the doctor actually recommended she go on a low carb diet, which she did. She lost weight and actually started having periods, she stopped losing her hair as much as well. I don't know if this would be true for everyone with PCOS but I know it helped her a LOT!

Blog Entries

I don't have PCOS, but my TOM had pretty much stopped--nothing since September--until April. My doctor and I were pretty much convinced I was going into Menopause. I've now had 3 regular cycles. Do I think it has something to do with getting rid of 30 lbs and cleaning the carbs out of my diet? Absolutely.

Started my journey at 232 lbs, 02/13/11

Goal #1: 209 lbs (10% of my body weight lost!!) - 05/04/11
    Goal #2: 199 lbs (Onederland!) - 07/18/11
    Goal #3: 180 lbs

I'm on day 3 of induction and hoping also to get periods again with this diet. I went on Metformin and immediately got a period, but then they haven't been regular since. I'm not on the full dosage of Met yet, have to work up very slowly because of the dreadful stomach side effects. Keep me posted on your progress and I will do the same. Hoping to slow down the hair loss, lose the upper body fat, get periods, and get pregnant.
    F, 36 yrs. old, PCOS
    173/151/130
    "Leap and the net will appear!"

Images

I have PCOS and started spotting and week after starting. I spotted the week leading up to my period, I had it and then it stopped. Though it lasted two week it wasn't inconvineant, it was so light I didn't notice it at first.

Fat stores estrogen, so as you body releases it and converts it to energy I'm sure spotting continues to happen until your body regulates itself.

F/27/5'9

SW: 335 / CW: 335/ GW: 160
    Started October 20, 2012
    Blog: http://thegirlcollected.blogspot.com/

Luke 11:9- "And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." KJV