Thread: What's the Big Deal?

• Display

Blog Entries

Default What's the Big Deal?

I know becoming pregnant is a scary time for some...I'm trying to conceive myself and am treating my body like a temple, but I just don't understand why people freak out about "dieting" and being pregnant. It seems pretty common sense to me. The body needs 1.1x the amount of food as normal while pregnant in order to properly feed the growing baby. The body needs to hold plenty of wonderful vitamins and nutrients. You want to make sure you are eating enough so that your body doesn't assume you are in starvation mode and not so much that you gain loads of weight.

Back in the cavemen days this wasn't an issue. You had meat, vegetables and fruit. That was it, maybe rice if you happened upon some. There was no low-fat ice cream or whole grain pasta or calorie-free soda.

In speaking to my ObGyn he said that as long as I'm getting all my vitamins and nutrients, not going crazy on the exercise, trying to keep all the frankenfoods out of my diet, and drink plenty of water...feel free to add in some multivitamins and folic acid if your stomach can handle it...then don't worry about it. I mean, look at all the pregnant women out there who eat low-fat treats, diet sodas, chemical-laden snacks, hormone-filled meats, and yet their babies come out just fine. I would imagine that someone watching what they eat and truly being mindful of it would be doing even better by their child.

Sure, Induction may not be the best plan but you can still be Atkins-friendly and pregnant. I plan on doing it and I don't worry one bit. As long as I'm eating healthy, nutritious foods, staying active, reducing stress, and treating my body like a temple for two rather than one, I'm good to go....

Stop all the over-worrying ladies, please. Its called use common sense, be healthy, make good choices, get advice from professionals and if it doesn't sound right find another professional because they don't know EVERYTHING.

Default Re: What's the Big Deal?

Dr. Atkins wrote you should do the Maintenance Phase of his diet while pregnant or nursing. Induction, OWL and Pre-Maintenance are all "weight loss" phases, so unless your physician WANTS you to lose weight while pregnant, the weight loss phases might not be the best thing to do. Not to mention, they are restrictive (food choice-wise) when compared to each other and to Maintenance Phase.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Blog Entries

I had to basically do Maintenance with a CCLM under 150g net (I averaged 100 -110g net) when I was pregnant with my second child, because I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 28 weeks. During the first 28 weeks of my pregnancy, I gained 29 pounds. During the last 10 weeks of my pregnancy, I gained 1 pound. My nutritionist loved me, because I was anal-retentive about maintaining my food intake and blood glucose records. I wish I had kept the same general eating patterns after I gave birth - and I especially wish that I had gone back to that style of eating after getting pregnant with my third child. Whoo Lordy, my blood glucose readings were friggin' perfect the entire third pregnancy, but I basically subsisted off of chili cheese fries and chocolate shakes.

So, from that perspective, I absolutely agree - during pregnancy, it's ideal to eat for optimal nutrition and appropriate caloric intake. A big part of that optimal nutrition is getting enough fiber in your diet, which should not be a huge issue...unless you intend to meet the requirement with a ton of flax seed with a side of lettuce (*hork*). If you are getting your daily fiber in a food-based, reasonable fashion, you are bound to consume enough net carb to keep yourself and the baby in tip-top shape.
    Widow of 1, Mom of 3, Professional Thinker, Hack Writer
    My Lifestyle Choices:
    RUUUUUN, FORREST!
    SW/CW/GW: 167 / 148.6 / Meh
    Mini-Goal: ​4.0mph walking speed
    Current Performance: 3.5mph walking speed

Blog Entries

Shrew, there is no WAY you are old enough to have a 16 year old...you look like you're in your 20s!

I totally agree. I don't see the point of adding back in loads of man-made grains once pregnant. I'm you eat plenty of natural foods you'll get what you need. Period. Watching what you are eating, ensuring that you are getting what you and the baby need is most important.

I just got halfway through the You: Pregnant book from Dr. Oz and Dr. Mehmet and they basically recommend the same thing...with some add ins about grains and fiber, etc...but that's conventional wisdom talking. If you eat the right natural foods you get plenty of fiber...spinach, broccoli, etc. Too bad Atkins never lived long enough to really, fully, address an Atkins-friendly pregnancy. That could be a real treat. I know that I may not want to be "losing weight" while pregnant but I have enough FAT that I certainly wouldn't mind not GAINING while I'm pregnant.

Intersting point, the doctors are recommending low-intensity weight training for pregnant women know too. Keep your body from eating up muscle tissue while pregnant and keep your body working strong and healthy...love that!
    "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals" -Henry Ford

SW/CW/GW - 251/240/140

MiniGoals - 230's
    MiniGoals - 220's
    MiniGoals - Be under 215lb for Halloween
    MiniGoals - 210's
    MiniGoals - Go Horseback Riding
    MiniGoals - 200's
    MiniGoals - Be under 200lb for my 15th HS Reunion
    MiniGoals - 190's
    MiniGoals - Go Indoor Skydiving
    And that is just the beginning